Role of the Student Ombudsman 

At San Diego State University, the Student Ombudsman: 

  • Listens to student's concerns and serves as a student resource.
  • Provides a “safe” place for students to discuss issues.
  • Investigates your complaint if they so desire.
  • Gathers information on your behalf.
  • Explains campus policies and procedures, rules and processes.
  • Analyzes your situation and identifies and evaluates options.
  • Refers students to other individuals or offices when appropriate.
  • Acts as a neutral resource between a student and a faculty/staff member, using informal mediation and/or other problem solving techniques.
  • Facilitates communication between and among individuals.
  • Reviews drafts of letters/documents for clarification and effectiveness.
  • Explains the grade appeal process and provides information on formal grievance processes.
  • Recommends policy changes to alleviate chronic problem areas in the University.

At San Diego State University, the Student Ombudsman does not:

  • Change grades or other University policies.
  • Give legal advice.
  • Take action without your permission.
  • Fill other University roles which could create conflicts of interest in maintaining his/her neutral position.

Can the Student Ombudsman give me legal advice?

No.  The Student Ombudsman can help you identify University procedures and policies, discuss options, and mediate, but cannot give legal advice.

For legal advice we refer students to the Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) at 800-464-1529, or 619-231-8585.  LRIS will refer you to an attorney who will give you a free 30 minute initial consultation.  For more information, visit their website at:

Does the Student Ombudsman advocate for students?

No.  An advocate argues on someone else’s behalf.  An ombudsman investigates complaints and mediates fair settlements.  Although the Student Ombudsman will do everything possible to assist you through the process of resolving an issue you have with the University, the Student Ombudsman is required to always remain neutral in order to ensure that all parties to an issue feel the conflict can be resolved fairly.

What if the informal process doesn't work?

If you and the Student Ombudsman have exhausted all options of achieving a resolution to the conflict at the levels of lower redress, you may wish to file a formal grievance with the Student Grievance Committee (SGC)

This committee is “the court of last resort,” and follows a set of formal procedures.  The SGC does not lend itself to quick solutions, so resolution at a lower level is always more desirable, and must be attempted before the committee will accept a case.  A grievance must be filed before the last day of the semester (excluding summer and winter session) after the semester during which the incident you are grieving occurred.  For example, if you are disputing a grade that you received in Spring 2018, then you must file your grievance before the last day of the Fall 2018 semester. 

Examples of problems brought before the Student Grievance Committee are grade disputes, faculty/staff conduct, administrative policies, and procedures and course requirements.

What if I have a Sexual Harassment or Discrimination complaint?

All complaints regarding discrimination or harassment will be referred to the Center for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination for investigation.

The phone number for the Center for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination is 619-594-6464, Administration Room 228 (AD-228).

For Title IX concerns, please see the following information: