A grant is free money that you do not have to repay as long as you meet all requirements. Most grants are awarded based on financial need. For some grants, a minimum grade point average is also required. Some programs have a limit on how long you can receive the grant.

FAFSA = Free Application for Federal Student Aid

  • By completing the FAFSA, you are considered automatically for most state and federal grants.
  • Apply for FAFSA early because some grant programs have a limited amount of funds available!

Types of grants

Federal grants

To be considered for a federal grant, you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. Federal grants include the Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant, and Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Grant. Learn more about federal grants.

California state resident grant, fee waiver, and scholarship programs

Eligible California residents may be eligible to receive assistance from state-funded grant programs including Cal Grants A and B, State University Grant (SUG), Educational Opportunity Program Grant (EOPG), Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) Program, and Chafee Grant. Learn more about California resident grants.

Non-California state grants agencies

If you are not a California resident, you will not be considered for California grant programs. However, you may be able to receive assistance from Contact your state education agency..

California residents

Monitor and Manage Your GrantsAll undergraduate California residents should apply for Cal Grants A and B before March 2.

Learn more about Cal Grants.