Your eligibility for need-based financial aid is determined by the following federal formula:
Cost of Attendance (COA)
- minus Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
- minus other financial assistance
= equals the maximum amount you can receive in need-based financial aid.
This forumla is calculated using these amounts:
- COA: your Cost of Attendance
COA is the estimated cost to attend SDSU during the 9-month academic year. These standard expenses reflect a modest, adequate living allowance.
- EFC: your Expected Family Contribution
Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a calculation of how much a student (and his or her family if the student was required to provide parent information on the FAFSA) can afford to pay, out of pocket, for educational expenses.
- Other financial assistance you may receive, such as private scholarships.