Foster-Care Youth

Unlike most students, current and former foster-care youth don’t have families on whom they can rely for guidance and financial assistance.  Whether you are an orphan, in foster care or a dependent or ward of the court, financial aid programs may be available to help you pay for your education costs.

Apply for financial aid

Regardless of your specific status, all students should apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application (for Dream Act eligible students).  Learn more about how to apply.

SDSU Guardian Scholars Program

The SDSU Guardian Scholars Program can assist students who have already overcome significant obstacles to obtain a college degree.  If you are a current or former foster-care youth, ward of the court, under legal guardianship, or an unaccompanied homeless youth, contact the SDSU Guardian Scholars Program.

Chafee Grant

If you are a current or former foster-care youth, you should also apply for California’s Chafee Grant program. Learn more about how to apply for the Chafee Grant.