Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Students of all class levels should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for all types of state and federal aid: grants, work study, student and parent loans, and some scholarships.
The FAFSA application and instructions are available on the FAFSA website.
- FAFSA - when to apply: Learn when to file to receive priority evaluation. Includes instructions for both new and returning SDSU students, as well as first time Cal Grant and Middle Class Scholarship applicants.
- IRS data retrieval: Use the IRS Data Retrieval Process when you complete your FAFSA. Using IRS data retrieval will make completing your FAFSA faster, easier, and more accurate.
Helpful FAFSA video
For help, watch this video: 7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA
You will need:
- The SDSU Federal School Code number - 001151
- A Federal Student Aid ID
The Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID
Your FSA ID will be your electronic identifier that enables you to:
- Complete, sign, and submit your FAFSA online, and
- Access your personal information in various U.S. Department of Education systems
Parent information on the FAFSA
Your parents must provide information on the FAFSA if you answer "No" to all of the student status questions in the "Dependency Determination" section of the FAFSA. Parent information is required even if you do not live with or receive any financial support from your parents.
The Federal Need Analysis formula requires that this information be collected and used to measure your parents' ability to assist you with your educational costs.
Some FAFSA applications are selected for verification. Verification is a process to confirm the information you provided on your FAFSA. Learn what to do if your application is selected for verification.
Check my.SDSU and email regularly
You may have messages from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships that alert you to additional information we may need to complete your record and award your financial aid.
- Check your my.SDSU account and your email regularly for messages from us!