FAFSA: When to Apply
- October 1 – Complete your FAFSA each year as soon after October 1 as possible.
- SDSU’s federal school code is 001151.
- December 31: Submit all financial aid documents requested via your AidLink account by December 31.
Applications are evaluated and aid is awarded throughout the year based on available funding. Some grant funds are limited, so apply early and submit documents as soon as requested.
- Absolute last day to apply: Your FAFSA must be complete, accepted (not rejected for errors), and received by SDSU before the last day of your enrollment, for the academic year for which you are requesting aid, to be considered for any funds.
New and returning students: When to apply
- New students: Apply now!
- After October 1, apply for financial aid as soon as you are able. Do not wait until you are admitted to the university to file your FAFSA.
- Check AidLink regularly to see if you need to submit any additional documentation.
- After you are officially admitted to SDSU and your financial aid record is complete, you will be able to view your award notice on AidLink.
- A note about AidLink: You have an AidLink record once we receive an electronic record of the information you enter on your FAFSA. Usually, this is 7 to 10 days after you apply online.
- If the social security number you used on your FAFSA does not match the social security number you used on your application for admission to the university, or you did not provide a social security number at all, we will not be able to display your FAFSA record on AidLink, nor will we know when you have been admitted to SDSU. If this describes your situation, contact us for help.
- Continuing students: Apply every year in October.
- Important: To be eligible for continuing financial aid, you must reapply for aid every year after October 1 by completing the FAFSA.
1st time Cal Grant and Middle Class Scholarship applicants: March 2 final deadline
If you are applying for Cal Grant or a Middle Class Scholarship for the first time, complete the FAFSA and submit it on or before March 2. (Note that both Cal grants and the Middle Class Scholarship are available for California residents only.)
SDSU's federal school code