Postponing Payments

You must pay each semester’s basic tuition and fees before registering for your classes, unless you qualify to postpone (delay) the payment until your financial aid is available. If you are not a California resident, out-of-state tuition is an additional cost and is due at the beginning of the semester.

How to qualify for a financial aid tuition and fee payment postponement

  • Log in to AidLink and review the "Payment, Postponements, and Billing Information" section to see if you qualify.
  • For continuing students, you must have your FAFSA application on file for the upcoming school year and be making Satisfactory Academic Progress to qualify.
  • For new students, your financial aid, including activated and approved loans, must total enough to pay full time basic tuition and fees (plus out-of-state tuition for 15 units if you are not a California resident). The Parent PLUS Loan must be activated and credit approved before the parent loan amount can be considered in determining postponement eligibility for basic tuition and fees and/or out-of-state tuition.

If you qualify, you will be able to register for classes online on the date indicated in your WebPortal. After you log in, select My Registration.

Note: If your aid is not available for any reason, or will not pay the entire amount of basic tuition fees or out-of-state tuition, you must pay those costs using your own funds. Student Account Services will send an electronic billing statement after the deadline for adding and dropping classes.

Options if you don't qualify

There are different payment options if you do not qualify to postpone paying, including an installment plan.

Installment plan

  • The basic tuition and fee installment plan allows you to pay in 4 installments, beginning with an initial payment of $800 plus a $60 service charge.
  • If you are required to pay out-of-state tuition, those charges are due when classes begin.

For more information, refer to the "Money Matters" section of your Class Schedule (on the Student Account Services website).

University housing payments

Postpone the initial payment

If you are a new undergraduate student from a low-income family, we will notify you by email and AidLink message if you qualify to postpone paying the $375 initial payment. This initial payment is due when you submit your housing license agreement.

  • If you qualify to postpone paying the $375, the initial housing payment will be deducted from your financial aid disbursement at the beginning of the semester.
  • If you do not qualify, you must use your own funds to pay the $375 initial payment required by the Office of Housing Administration.
  • You will receive the same amount of financial aid whether you postpone paying or pay using your own funds.

Payments due during the semester

After the initial housing payment, subsequent housing and meal costs will be deducted from your financial aid disbursement at the beginning of the semester.

If the amount of financial aid you receive is not sufficient to pay the total costs for the semester, you will be responsible for making the remaining payments when they are due. You will receive an electronic billing statement from Student Account Services. If financial aid becomes available, it will be applied to any bills from the current semester.

Aid amount remains the same regardless of fee payment or postponement

  • You'll receive the same amount of financial aid whether you pay tuition and fees using your own funds or postpone paying until your financial aid is available.
  • Postponing any payment just means that both the postponed payment and any new payments due will be deducted from your available aid.
  • This means less financial aid, if any, will be available to you during the semester for books and other expenses.