How to Extend Your Cal Grant for a Teaching Credential

If you were awarded Cal Grant A or B as an undergraduate, you may be eligible to renew your Cal Grant for up to 1 additional year while enrolled in a teaching credential program.

The additional year of payment may be provided if you are seeking an initial teaching credential but cannot be used for other graduate level courses of study.

How to apply

  1. Submit your FAFSA online at the FAFSA website.
  2. Submit a G-44 Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Benefits form (download Adobe Acrobat Reader) to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) at the address on the form.

When to apply

Submit your FAFSA as soon as it becomes available for the academic year of enrollment into the teaching credential.

Submit your G-44 request after completing your bachelor’s degree and after being formally or conditionally accepted into a teaching credential program.

WebGrants for students

The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) selects undergraduate California residents for the Cal Grant A or Cal Grant B programs.

WebGrants for Students is CSAC’s secure website where you can monitor the processing of your Cal Grant application and award information.

WebGrants for StudentsThrough WebGrants you can:

  • Confirm that CSAC received your application
  • Check your award status and award history
  • Change your address and other demographic information with CSAC
  • List SDSU as the first school to receive your Cal Grant award information