Terminating a Student's Employment
Learn about how to terminate a student’s FWS employment, and reasons for student termination.
Automatic termination occurs for every student's FWS employment at the end of the academic year, and a written notice is not required.
- Note: To rehire a student for the next academic year, repeat the hiring process.
If termination is before the end of the academic year:
- Complete the Termination section of the Student Employment Authorization Form.
- Submit a time sheet for any unpaid hours the student has worked.
- Inform the FWS program coordinator if the open position should be posted.
Reasons for student termination
A student must terminate employment:
- When the student's Earnings Limit is reached
- When the student withdraws from the university
- When the department/division FWS allocation is spent
- Note: If the student is eligible to earn more, the department may transfer the employee to the student assistant payroll and/or the student could change to a different FWS position.