Resources for Faculty and Staff
Career Services partners with faculty and staff, and the larger SDSU community, to provide resources that prepare students for the professional world.
Faculty and Staff are encouraged to create a Faculty/Staff account within Handshake, allowing for the same experience as a student. Faculty/Staff accounts may be used to:
- Recommend jobs and events to students in your department/college
- Encourage students to attend career development events & activities
- Review student videos from Big Interview....and more!
Faculty and Staff may also consider creating a separate account as an Employer. When you register as an employer with Handshake, a wide array of services and resources are available to your department or college, including:
- Post jobs, internships, and research opportunities (free!) to recruit students from any major
- Post Federal Work Study positions (see information below)
- Participate in career fairs
- Enjoy sponsorship and promotion opportunities
- and more!
- Career Services looks forward to working with you and your students. For the Fall Semester, we encourage you to request a classroom presentation rather than request a class assignment/counselor review. This will allow us to provide your class with the tools and resources needed to complete the assigned project. For all other career related questions, please direct them to Career Services.
Request a classroom presentation (including employer panels)
- We bring the information right to your class. We offer workshops and class presentations on resumé writing, interviewing skills, networking, job search strategies, “What Can I Do with This Degree?” — as well as employer and alumni presentations.
Posting a Federal Work Study position
When posting a Federal Work Study job onto Handshake, please use the following guidelines:
- JOB TYPE: On Campus Student Employment
- Is this a Work Study job: NO
- Please toggle "NO" under the Federal Work Study section. The system is not currently set up to recognize FWS approved student accounts and will prevent students from seeing your position if marked "YES".
- Job Title: please include "Federal Work Study" - i.e. Federal Work Study: Student Office Assistant
- Job Description: please include "Must meet the eligibility requirements of the Work-Study Program as determined by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships"
For questions or assistance posting your position, please contact our Career Resources Team at 619.594.6509 (on-campus ext: 46509).
Help with your Handshake account
To request a new faculty/staff account, please fill out the following form: Courtesy Account Request or for support with your existing account, please provide your RedID number to
For assistance and support with your employer/department account or Federal Work Study request, please contact
How to post internships, find internship contacts, and more. Find everything you need to know about internships here!
Give assignments using our helpful online tools
- Several resources are available for faculty that can be easily incorporated into your courses as assignments or for extra credit. They are available via login to Handshake. Please contact Rosa Moreno at 619-594-4378 or [email protected] for more details.
- Big Interview: An online interview preparation service. Contains guided study modules for students to enhance their interviewing skills
- Going Global: A resource for working abroad. Contains country guides, job postings abroad and webinars.
- Type Focus: A career assessment tool. Helps students explore occupations related to their personality, interests and values.
Writing student references
- See the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) guidelines for writing references.