Career counseling / Selecting a major
Career counseling is available to address your career-related concerns. Students most often request assistance in the following areas:
- Career planning assistance
- Choosing or changing a major (see below!)
- Learning about career options in your major (see below!)
- Resume writing tips and review
- Strategies for finding jobs or internships
- Interview preparation
- Networking with professionals
- Graduate school decision making
Tools to help you assess your interests, values, personality and consider suitable majors and careers.
A 15-minute consultation with a career counselor. Popular topics include: a brief resume review or a referral to a career assessment to declare/change a major.
A 50-minute appointment with a career counselor.
Self-Service Tools and Resources for Selecting a Major:
You may be wondering, “What can I do with this major?” or “What can I do if I declare this major?” We encourage you to begin articulating "major" through industries, job titles, and eventually, employers. This way you can make an informed academic decision that leads to maximized internships, job searches and graduate school admissions success.
- What Can I Do With This Major? – Whether you’re exploring majors or searching for information about your chosen field, this website will help you connect majors to careers. Learn about typical career areas and types of employers that hire people with each major, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate.
- O*NET OnLine - This is an excellent tool for career exploration and job analysis! O*NET has detailed descriptions of the world of work for use by job seekers and students. Explore careers that correlate with majors by browsing groups of similar occupations. Choose from industry, field of work, science area, and more.
- O*NET Interest Profiler - This resource can help you find out what your interestd are and how they related to the world of work and a major that can lead you to that career. You can find out what you like to do and what careers you want to explore!
- My Next Move - Start on the path to the career you've dreamed about, or find one you never imagined.
- National Association of Colleges and Employers, Job Market - NACE's Job Market section has trends and predictions and featured articles that cover topics from which majors are earning the most upon graduation to first-destination/outcomes reporting.