Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Learn about how your grades, units, and enrollment affect the financial aid you receive and how to file an appeal if you do not meet requirements.

Grades and Units

How grades and units affect your financial aid award

SAP Standards: To receive federal and state financial aid, including grants, loans and work study, you must meet the standards of the university's Satisfactory Academic Progress policy. The Office of Financial Aid will determine if you have met these requirements annually, at the end of the spring semester.

To be eligible to receive financial aid, you must meet these satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirements:

If you fail to meet the SAP eligibility requirements you have the option of filing an appeal. This is one method of reestablish eligibility for financial aid.

We encourage you to meet with your academic or major advisor on a regular basis to ensure you will be able to meet the SAP requirements to continue to receive financial aid.

Learn more about how your grades and units affect your financial aid award.

Repeating Courses

If you take a class for the third time, your financial aid may be reduced. This typically occurs when you have taken the course previously on two separate occasions and passed the course (with a D- or higher). Aid reduction also may take place after you take a class and fail it on the first occasion and then retake the class and pass it (with a D- or higher). Aid reduction and billing typically occur after the course adjustment deadline.


Most financial aid programs and award amounts are affected by your units and the amount you pay for basic tuition and fees. Some aid amounts will be reduced or canceled if you enroll in fewer than 12 units as an undergraduate or teaching credential student or fewer than 9 units as a graduate student.

You must be enrolled at least half time to receive some amount from most aid programs, including student loans. If you enroll less than half time, you begin your grace period and repayment of your student loans.

How your enrollment affects your financial aid award

Staying on track

You are expected to successfully complete all of your units.

However, to remain eligible to receive financial aid, you must complete at least 66.67% of the units you attempt each academic year with a minimum GPA for your grade level.

If you have questions, please contact our Cal Coast Student Financial Center: