State University Grant (SUG)

SUG is a California resident grant that helps to pay basic tuition fees. If you are not a California resident, you will not be considered for SUG. However, you may be able to receive assistance from your state grant agency.

Who should apply

SUG is available to California residents who are enrolled at least half time at SDSU and pay California State University basic tuition fees as an undergraduate, graduate, or teaching credential student. (See information about limited eligibility, below.)

Availability of funds: apply early!

There is a limited amount of funding each year, and all awards are conditional based on the availability of funds from the state. Funds may be delayed or reduced, depending on action of the Governor or the California State Legislature.

  • Apply Early! Complete your FAFSA and all requested documentation as soon after October 1 (prior to the year of attendance) as possible.

All applicants will be considered automatically, but not all eligible students will receive SUG due to limited funds.


The amount of your SUG award cannot exceed the cost of basic tuition and fees when combined with other financial assistance designated to pay basic tuition and fees (such as Cal Grant fee assistance, vocational rehabilitation, fee waiver, etc.)

The amount of SUG awarded is:

  • Reduced if you pay the basic tuition fee for 6 units
  • Canceled if you enroll less than half time
  • Conditional, based on availability of funds from the state
  • Subject to change based on information received from SDSU’s Enrollment Services regarding your student standing that could reduce or cancel an award
    • As Enrollment Services evaluates and updates your academic record with transfer units, a grade change, or a previous degree that you completed, we may again review your eligibility for a SUG previously awarded

Limited eligibility

A California State University (CSU) policy limits how long you can receive SUG for your degree or credential program. The following are the unit limits to receive SUG.

  • An undergraduate California resident may receive SUG up until completing 150 total units (most undergraduate degrees require only 120 units).
  • A graduate California resident may receive SUG up until completing 125% of the minimum units required for the graduate degree program. For example, in a graduate program requiring 30 units, a student could receive SUG until 38 total units have been completed. Unit eligibility will be adjusted for programs that require more than 30 units.
  • A credential program California resident may receive SUG up until completing the number of units required for the credential program (usually 30 total units).
  • Students pursuing a second bachelor's degree, second credential, or second master's degree are not eligible for SUG. The CSU will fund only the first degree.
  • Note: These unit limits are set by the CSU and cannot be increased by appeal. The maximum number of units is based on coursework required for graduation in a particular program. Excess units for a double major, certificate programs you complete while also enrolled in your degree program, or units you completed that don't apply to your degree count against your unit limit.

How to apply

The 2024-2025 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the California Dream Act Application (for Dream Act-eligible students) will be available in either late December 2023 or January 2024. These applications have to be filled out every year. 

  • The FAFSA and instructions are online at the FAFSA website.
  • If you are a California resident, you will be considered automatically for a State University Grant.
  • You may apply before being admitted to SDSU.

Read more about how to apply and SDSU's priority deadlines.