Parent PLUS Loan Eligibility Requirements
Requirements for borrowing a Parent PLUS Loan:
- Parent must be the student's biological or adoptive mother or father.
- If divorced or separated, either parent may borrow the Parent PLUS Loan.
- If the parent has remarried, the stepparent's information must be included when completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In this instance, a stepparent (whose information appears on the FAFSA) is also eligible to borrow the Parent PLUS Loan.
- The parent must be either a United States citizen, a permanent resident or other eligible non-citizen. If the parent is a non-citizen:
- An Alien Registration Number must be listed on the Request for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
- A photocopy of the front and back of his/her Alien Registration Card (I-151 or I-551) must be submitted.
- The parent cannot have an adverse credit history.
- The parent cannot be in default on a federal education loan.
- The parent cannot owe an overpayment on a federal education grant.
Get more info
For detailed information on Direct PLUS Loans, including eligibility, visit the Direct Loan section of the Federal Student Aid website.