Counseling Frequently Asked Questions

Class Enrollment

Q: I did not get into the classes I want. What can I do?

A: If you did not get into the classes you wanted to, you could:

  • Meet with your EOP counselor to discuss other options.
  • Enroll in other courses for your major, minor, general education, or take elective courses.
  • Waitlist fo the course if the course is full.

Q: How do I drop a class?

A: Classes can be dropped through your WebPortal account during the adjustment period.From the "My Registration" screen on WebPortal click on "Drop a class" and then select courses to be dropped.

Q: How do I substitute a class?

A: To substitute a class, log onto your WebPortal account. From the "My Registration" screen, click on "Substitute a class." Substitutions must be completed before the add/drop deadlines.

Q: How do I change my major?

A: To change your major, complete the declaration of major form available on theOffice from the Registrar's website. Take the form to your current major advisor to complete the section entitled "current major." You would then take the completed form to your new major department to be signed by the department advisor. Once approved by the major department, return it to the Office of the Registrar.

Q: How many units do I have to enroll in to be considered a full-time student?

A: Twelve (12) units.

EOP Grant

Q: Why didn’t I get the EOP grant?

A: The EOP grant is awarded to students through the Financial Aid Office based on financial need and full-time status as long as funds are available. If you think you qualify for
the EOP Grant and did not receive it, check with the Financial Aid Office.

Q: Do I have to be a full-time student to qualify for the EOP grant?

A: Yes.

Transferring From the Community Colleges

Q: What is the maximum number of units that can be transferred from the community colleges?

A: Seventy (70) units.

Q: I’ve transferred 70 units from the community colleges. Can I still take classes at the community college to satisfy major and/or general education requirements?

A: SDSU will accept a maximum of 70 units from the community colleges. Once you have transferred 70 units from the community college, you can still take lower-division courses to satisfy major or general education, but you will only be awarded a maximum of 70 units toward the number of units needed to graduate.

Q: I participated in EOPS at the community college. What is the difference between EOPS and EOP?

A: EOPS and EOP both provide academic support services to low-income students. EOPS’ income guidelines must be met on a continuous basis to continue to receive EOPS services. EOPS students must also attend a certain number of workshops each semester to remain eligible. In addition to counseling, EOPS services include book vouchers. Once you are admitted to EOP, you are always in EOP and do not have to reapply to remain in the program. EOP offers the EOP grant for full-time students who demonstrate financial need on an as-available fund basis. EOP also offers free tutoring for EOP students through the Learning Support Center (LSC).

Q: I took classes at a community college. Where do I send my transcripts?

A: Official transcripts from other colleges should be sent to the SDSU Office of the Registrar.


Q: When do I take the Writing Placement Exam (WPA)?

A: Continuing students: Continuing students must take the WPA during the semester in
which they are completing (60) units or the semester immediately following.
Transfer student. Transfer students are eligible to take the WPA once they have
received an offer of admission. They must take the examination during their first
semester at SDSU.

Q: What class should I take if I do not pass the WPA?

A: Students who score 7 or lower are required to take RWS 280, RWS 281, or LING 281.
Students who score 8 or 9 are required to take an approved upper-division writing

Meeting with EOP Counselor

Q: How many times must I schedule an appointment to meet with an EOP counselor?

A: As an EOP student, you are responsible for scheduling at least two (2) thirty-minute
appointments with your assigned counselor per semester, unless otherwise advised by
your counselor.

Q: Must I see the same counselor all the time?

A: We prefer that EOP students see their assigned counselors.

Q: Do walk-in appointments count toward the 2 appointments with my EOP counselor?

A: No. Walk-in appointments are designed to answer quick questions that may arise during
the academic year.

Course Forgiveness

Q: How many course forgiveness chances do I have?

A: Students may use course forgiveness for a maximum of 16 semester units as part
of the 28-unit course repeat limit.

Q: How do I file for course forgiveness?

A: Course forgiveness can be filed after the add/drop deadlines. Log onto your WebPortal and click on “course forgiveness”.

Q: How many times can I repeat the same course for course forgiveness?

A: A course may be repeated once for course forgiveness.

Printing on Campus

Q: Where can I print on campus? How much does it cost to print?

A: Printing can be done at the Learning Support Center (LSC) computer lab.
It costs 5¢ per page. Printing can also be done at the library for 10¢ per page.