EOPOS has eight professional counselors and an academic advisor (Compact Scholars) who are committed to the academic success of students. Our team provides academic, career and personal counseling as well as facilitate academic success, probationary and personal development workshops. Counselors are also involved in the SOAR mentoring program, summer transitional programs, and additional services for student-parents including those involved in CalWORKs.

EOPOS students are required to meet with their counselor/advisor at least twice per semester. During these counseling sessions, students may talk about the following topics:  

  • Course requirements for graduation
  • Student Academic Progress (SAP) appeals
  • Obstacles in personal, professional or student journey
  • Developing good work/study habits
  • General skills building,
  • Financial literacy,
  • Job-seeking skills and understanding employer expectations for punctuality and performance,
  • Resume building,
  • Interview preparation and dressing for success
  • Letters of Recommendations
  • and more. . . 

It is important for our students to know that the EOPOS team is here to support their holistic learning at SDSU, and we serve as a guide to help point them in the right direction, while connectiing them to resources on campus and in the community. Please see below for ways to make a counseling appointment.

How to Schedule an Appointment

How to Prepare for an EOP Counseling Appointment

Meet the Staff


Class Enrollment

Q: I did not get into the classes I want. What can I do?

A: If you did not get into the classes you wanted to, you could:

  • Meet with your EOP counselor to discuss other options.
  • Enroll in other courses for your major, minor, general education, or take elective courses.
  • Waitlist fo the course if the course is full.

Q: How do I drop a class?

A: Classes can be dropped through your WebPortal account during the adjustment period.From the "My Registration" screen on WebPortal click on "Drop a class" and then select courses to be dropped.

Q: How do I substitute a class?

A: To substitute a class, log onto your WebPortal account. From the "My Registration" screen, click on "Substitute a class." Substitutions must be completed before the add/drop deadlines.

Q: How do I change my major?

A: To change your major, complete the declaration of major form available on theOffice from the Registrar's website. Take the form to your current major advisor to complete the section entitled "current major." You would then take the completed form to your new major department to be signed by the department advisor. Once approved by the major department, return it to the Office of the Registrar.

Q: How many units do I have to enroll in to be considered a full-time student?

A: Twelve (12) units.

EOP Grant

Q: Why didn’t I get the EOP grant?

A: The EOP grant is awarded to students through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships based on financial need, full-time status, housing accommodations, and the time a financial aid application was received - as long as funds are available. If you think you qualify for the EOP Grant and did not receive it, please check with the Financial Aid Office.

Q: Do I have to be a full-time student to qualify for the EOP grant?

A: Yes. 

Transferring From the Community Colleges

Q: What is the maximum number of units that can be transferred from the community colleges?

A: Seventy (70) units.

Q: I’ve transferred 70 units from the community colleges. Can I still take classes at the community college to satisfy major and/or general education requirements?

A: SDSU will accept a maximum of 70 units from the community colleges. Once you have transferred 70 units from the community college, you can still take lower-division courses to satisfy major or general education, but you will only be awarded a maximum of 70 units toward the number of units needed to graduate.

Q: I participated in EOPS at the community college. What is the difference between EOPS and EOP?

A: EOPS and EOP both provide academic support services to low-income and underrepresented students. EOPS’ income guidelines must be met on a continuous basis to continue to receive EOPS services. EOPS students must also attend a certain number of workshops each semester to remain eligible. In addition to counseling, EOPS services include book vouchers. Once you are admitted to EOP, you are always in EOP and do not have to reapply to remain in the program. EOP offers the EOP grant for full-time students who demonstrate financial need on an as-available fund basis. EOP also offers free tutoring for EOP students through the Learning Support Center (LSC).

Please check our this guide for additional information. 

Q: I took classes at a community college. Where do I send my transcripts?

A: Official transcripts from other colleges should be sent to the SDSU Office of Admissions.


Q: When do I take the Writing Placement Exam (WPA)?

A: Continuing students: Continuing students must take the WPA during the semester in
which they are completing (60) units or the semester immediately following.
Transfer student. Transfer students are eligible to take the WPA once they have
received an offer of admission. They must take the examination during their first
semester at SDSU.

Q: What class should I take if I do not pass the WPA?

A: Students who score 7 or lower are required to take RWS 280, RWS 281, or LING 281.
Students who score 8 or 9 are required to take an approved upper-division writing

Meeting with EOP Counselor

Q: How many times must I schedule an appointment to meet with an EOP counselor?

A: As an EOP student, you are responsible for scheduling at least two (2) thirty-minute appointments with your assigned counselor per semester, unless otherwise advised by your counselor.

Q: Must I see the same counselor all the time?

A: We prefer that EOP students see their assigned counselors.

Q: Do walk-in appointments count toward the 2 appointments with my EOP counselor?

A: No. Walk-in appointments are designed to answer quick questions that may arise during
the academic year.

Course Forgiveness

Q: How many course forgiveness chances do I have?

A: Students may use course forgiveness for a maximum of 16 semester units as part
of the 28-unit course repeat limit.

Q: How do I file for course forgiveness?

A: Course forgiveness can be filed after the add/drop deadlines. Log onto your WebPortal and click on “course forgiveness”.

Q: How many times can I repeat the same course for course forgiveness?

A: A course may be repeated once for course forgiveness.

Printing on Campus

Q: Where can I print on campus? How much does it cost to print?

A: Printing can be done at the Learning Support Center (LSC) computer lab.
It costs 5¢ per page. Printing can also be done at the library for 10¢ per page.