Well-being and Health Promotion supports the holistic well-being of SDSU students through one-on-one and group education, community programs, campaigns, partnerships and collaborations. Staffed with a knowledgeable team of health education professionals, interns, and peer educators, the department’s goal is to support students with all aspects of their health and well-being, including nutrition, alcohol and other drug use, sleep, healthy relationships, sexual health, violence prevention, recovery support and community, healthcare coverage support, as well as accessing resources on campus and in the community. Well-being and Health Promotion offers a variety of student leadership and engagement opportunities, including our Peer Health Educators (PHE’s), Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC), FratMANners and SISSTER. Peer leaders plan and implement many of our campaigns and outreaches with the support of the Well-being and Health Promotion team.
The Well-being & Health Promotion Department aims to enhance the well-being of SDSU students in order for them to achieve academic success and establish lifelong healthy behaviors and attitudes to reduce the risk for disease and injury.
Well-being & Health Promotion believes that students’ health is an integral part of their academic success. A student’s success can be derailed by poor choices that affect health and safety.
Often, alcohol and other drugs, reckless or dangerous behavior, and risky sexual behavior can lead to injuries, disease, legal trouble, and social circumstances that make continued academic progress difficult or impossible.
The department serves a preventative role to allow students to make more healthful and less risky decisions by:
- Helping create a healthy campus and community environment
- Assuring students know how and are motivated to make healthy decisions
We provide SDSU students with tools to succeed by offering health education to the campus community on:
- Alcohol and other drugs
- GYN Gynecological Orientation (includes information on pelvic examinations and birth control options)
- Health insurance assistance
- Healthy relationships and sexual violence prevention
- Narcan Upstander Distribution Program (Training and Distribution)
- Nutrition, exercise and wellness
- "Mobi" Mobile demonstration kitchen and cooking classes
- Recovery Support and Community
- Sexual health education and supplies (including STI education and HIV/AIDS information)
- Sleep promotion
Well-being & Health Promotion maintains a commitment to collaborative and integrated efforts to achieve student health.
At Well-being & Health Promotion you can receive:
- Educational workshops
- Individual and small group health education
- Nutrition counseling/education
- Alcohol and Other Drug information
- GYN Orientation - Includes information on Health Exam (Pap smear) and birth control options
- Community resources and referrals
- Peer Health Education (PHE) Programs (including FratMANers and SISSTER)
- Off-campus medical referrals
- Assistance utilizing individual health plans
- Presentations from professionals or peers on a variety of health topics
- Numerous health outreach events and campaigns around campus
Tools to succeed
We provide SDSU students with tools to succeed by offering health education and services in these areas and more!
- Alcohol and other drugs
- Health Insurance enrollment
- Nutrition, exercise, and body image
- Peer health education
- Sexual health including HIV/AIDS and sexual assault awareness
- Social services and outside care referrals
- Women’s health and family planning