Insurance Help and referrals


Oragami bird with Health Away From Home graphicIf you are a student currently enrolled at SDSU, a variety of services are available to you at Student Health Services.

Basic medical services are provided at Student Health Services under the Health and Wellness Fee, paid with each semester's tuition. Specialty or Augmented Services (vaccinations, medications, and lab tests) and Specialty Care (orthopedic clinic) may have additional out-of-pocket charges.

To make an appointment at SDSU Student Health Services or to understand out-of-pocket pricing for Specialty or Augmented Services offered to students on campus, call 619-594-4325.

Though Student Health Services is an excellent resource, you may have to use your health insurance to access off-campus services. To understand if your health insurance will cover you, or reimburse you for out-of-pocket charges, please contact your insurance company using following the steps:


Using Your Health Care Coverage Off Campus

How Do I Use My Health Insurance? How to Get Health-Related Services.

using health care coverage

Step 1: Identify Your Health Insurance Plan

Locate the phone number for your health insurance as well as your member ID number. You can find this information on the back your insurance card. Some insurance cards provide a website where you can create an account, look for healthcare providers, and find your specific healthcare costs and benefits.

Step 2: Contact Your Health Insurance Carrier

Call your health insurance company and ask the following questions:

  • Where can I go to get  __________ services?
  • How much will this service cost using my health insurance? Is there a co-pay or a deductible associated with my _______ services?
  • What are my health insurance benefits? Will my insurance cover _______?
  • Do I need to make an appointment to get these services?

Step 3: Talk to Your Healthcare Provider

Once you have a specific healthcare provider/facility you would like to go to, call them and ask the following questions:

  • Do you take ________ insurance? (Always check with the doctor or medical facility directly to confirm that they still accept your insurance before you receive treatment)
  • May I make an appointment or can I walk-in for _______ services?
  • How much will I end up paying for these services? 
  • Where is your office located?
  • Is the check-in time different from the actual appointment time?
  • Remember, you are responsible for your medical care and its related costs. Before concluding the call, confirm the co-pay/deductible, the location, and the appointment time.

Step 4: Still Need Help?

Always bring your health insurance and/or Medi-cal card to your off-campus health-related appointments. If you don't have the physical card, a photocopy or a picture of the front and back of the card will work as well.

For more information about where to go for health-related services using your health insurance, make an appointment with the Community Resource Specialist.  


Health Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

A: The California State University (CSU) does not require domestic undergraduate students to have healthcare insurance. However, international students, and American Language Institute (ALI) students are all required to have health insurance, and have it approved through their respective programs.

Also, the new laws implemented in 2010 by the Affordable Care Act require all U.S. citizens and legal residents to have healthcare insurance. 

A: The health fee allows you access to Student Health Services (SHS), a healthcare facility that can address basic health care needs right here on campus in Calpulli Center. SHS offers quality and convenient healthcare by certified healthcare professionals. The health fee also supports Well-being & Health Promotion, Counseling & Psychological Services, as well as the Student Ability Success Center.

A: In 2010, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) was signed into law. The law requires that U.S. citizens and legal residents have health insurance.

Having access to Student Health Services is not the same as having health insurance. If you would like more information regarding the ACA and how it affects you, or you would like to know how to obtain healthcare insurance, fill out this request to speak with the Well-being & Health Promotion Department's Community Resource Specialist.

A: SHS is a great resource for basic health care, however is not considered a health insurance plan under the new Affordable Care Act laws.

Undergraduate/Graduate Students:
No, there is not an SDSU Health insurance offered for domestic undergraduate students. However, you can submit a request via our website, to have someone assist you in obtaining health insurance/Medi-Cal. After submitting your request, our enrollment specialists will reach out to you via phone or email within 2-3 business days.

International Students: Please contact the International Student Center or the American Language Institute for more information. There is an international health plan, but it needs to be purchased in conjunction with enrollment as an international student. 

A:  Submit a request to speak with a campus partner, who can assist you in obtaining health insurance or Medi-Cal.

A: Our Community Resource Specialist is here to assist you with an additional questions you have about health insurance or referrals. To request a one-on-one appointment with our Community Resource Specialist, please fill out this form.