Get Started with Counseling & Psychological Services
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis:
- SDSU Students: Call C&PS at 619-594-5220 or walk in to Calpulli 4400.
Urgent appointments available during business hours (Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm). 24/7 crisis support by phone also available.
- Call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
- Call the San Diego Access & Crisis Line: 888-724-7240
Available 24/7. Well-trained professional staff for immediate assistance. Staff can also locate counseling resources in the San Diego community.
- Text the Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
Available 24/7. Text with a live, trained volunteer crisis counselor.
- Use the San Diego Access & Crisis Live Chat service: omnidigital.uhc.com/SDChat
Available 4-10pm, weekdays only (Mondays-Fridays). Online crisis support through live chat.
How to Access C&PS Services
CALL US: 619-594-5220
Start with a Phone Consultation
The first service at Counseling & Psychological Services (C&PS) that most SDSU students start with is our phone consultation process. Phone consultation provides an opportunity for us to hear what you are experiencing, then to collaborate with you on identifying personalized recommendations. Whether you are seeking support for yourself or a friend, call our office at 619-594-5220 and ask to schedule a phone consultation with a therapist.
What to Expect:
- You will be asked for your contact information and general availability.
- One of our therapists will give you a call during our business hours. The call may come from a blocked number or an SDSU number (619-594-####).
- The therapist will typically reach out within 24 business hours. If we are not able to reach you, we will leave a voicemail message if we have your permission. Be sure to set up your system and check your messages. If we leave a voicemail, please reach back out via phone or email to reschedule the call.
- If we are otherwise unable to contact you within 24 business hours, we will make arrangements with you to connect on another day that works for you.
- We will speak with you for about 10-15 minutes to hear your concerns, identify options, and help find the best way for you to get the help you need. This might include short-term individual or group counseling at C&PS, therapy options via resources in the community, and/or a referral to another on-campus department.
Drop into Talk It Out
Another way to speak with a therapist is through Talk It Out, a drop-in service available throughout the week. While it is not therapy nor a substitute for therapy, Talk It Out provides easy access to informal and confidential consultation with our C&PS therapists. No appointment is necessary.
What to Expect
- Check out our designated drop-in times on the Talk It Out page. Drop in either in person or over Zoom anytime within those designated hours.
- If dropping in virtually, you will reach a Zoom waiting room. When the therapist is available, you will be let into the meeting room. NOTE: We ask that you keep your video on during the meeting.
- The therapist will speak with you for 15-20 minutes to hear about your concerns, help with problem-solving, and answer any questions you may have about therapy or C&PS services.
- Talk It Out therapists can also guide you through the process of setting up an appointment at C&PS or discuss potential resources both on and off campus.