The Deadline to Submit the RSO Application for the Fall term closed on September 1st.
The Spring application cycle opens on December 1st
Start or Renew an Organization!
Recognized Student Organization (RSO) Application
New and continuing student organizations must be recognized on an annual basis per California State University Executive Order 1068.
The RSO application for the 2022 - 2023 academic year is open as of May 1, 2022.
Please note that there are two recognition seasons when the RSO Application is open, Fall and Spring. During the recognition seasons is when staff will be actively reviewing RSO Applications.
- Fall 2022: May 1st -September 1st
- Student organizations that are granted "conditional recogniztion" will lose their status if pending items are not completed by September 1st.
- Spring 2023: December 1st - February 1st
How to Complete the Annual RSO Application
Steps to become a Recognized Student Organization
- Complete the RECOGNIZED STUDENT ORGANIZATION (RSO) APPLICATION.
- The RSO Application must have the names, RedIDs, and emails of at least five eligible student officers and one faculty/staff advisor.
- The organization's bylaws must be uploaded to the RSO Application with all California State University standards. Please see our Bylaw Checklist and Template for reference.
- The organization must complete the A.S. Banking and Finance section of the RSO Application.
If the organization chooses to use on-campus banking, they must submit the Student Organization Account Application & Agreement form. Learn more about student organization banking and finance here.
In response to COVID-19 social distancing requirements we are accepting electronic signatures on applications for 2022-23 academic year. Contact Diana de la Rosa ([email protected]) if you have questions.
- New presidents and treasurers must complete the RSO Officer Obligations Training (RSO3) and Inclusive Leadership Awareness Training (formerly known as the RSO Leadership Training and SOCIA). The summer dates for these trainings are listed above. RSO's that use, or plan to use, a Student Organization banking account must complete a banking training. All presidents and treasueres must complete the banking training in order to fufill this requirement.
- The advisor listed on the RSO Application must confirm their role and complete the Advisor Orientation.
- The organization will receive an email confirming their recognition once all items have been completed.
The RSO application can take two to four weeks to process once all requirements are complete.
Benefits of Being a Recognized Student Organization
- Use of SDSU's name, logo and symbols in conformity with campus policies.
- Meeting on campus, reserving space with Union Programs & Services and university facilities.
- Applying for and receiving office or desk space in Student Life & Leadership, subject to space availability.
- Scheduling and publicizing activities and events as approved by Student Life & Leadership.
- Participating in Student Life & Leadership and University events.
- Use of Presence for marketing, communication, tracking and assessment of the organization and organization related activities.
- Gratis publicity via The Daily Aztec and Associated Students communications when available.
- Posting of signs in reserved areas (in accordance with the Buildings and Grounds Code).
- Maintaining an organization mailbox (see Student Organization Forms) in the office of Student Life & Leadership.
- Applying for Student Organization Donation Bin (see Student Organization Forms) placement in Student Life & Leadership.
- Applying for and receiving funding of programs from various campus departments, subject to availability requirements.
- Belonging to and receiving funds from the A.S. College Councils, as appropriate.
- Receiving tax-exempt charitable donations through provision administered by Associated Students.
- Certifying campus recognition for national or statewide affiliated organizations.
For more information on the purpose of the recognition process and student organization policies and procedures, please review the 2022-2023 Recognized Student Organization Handbook.
Contact Student Life & Leadership at 619-594-5221 if you have any questions!