- Immunization Requirements - effective for all regularly enrolled who are incoming to SDSU Fall 2019 and after
- Entering students are required to present proof of the following immunizations to San Diego State University by July 15 for fall incoming students and January 5 for all spring incoming students.
- Required immunizations and screening:
All students who are enrolled at San Diego State University are required to provide proof of the following immunizations:
Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR): Two doses with first dose on or after first birthday OR positive titer (laboratory evidence of immunity to disease; see FAQ #4).
Varicella (chickenpox): Two doses with first dose on or after first birthday OR positive titer. History of contracting the disease does not meet compliance.
Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap): One dose within the last ten years.
COVID-19: Completion of a primary COVID-19 vaccine series plus a booster, if eligible for one.
Meningococcal conjugate (serogroups A, C, Y, & W‐135): At least one dose at age 16 or older for students through age 21.
Meningococcal B (Meningitis B): Complete series, may be two or three doses, for students age 16 through 21.
Hepatitis B (Hep B): Students ages 18 and younger must complete the series. Based on type of vaccine, the series is either two or three doses (CA Health & Safety Code, Sec. 120390.5).
Tuberculosis (TB) risk assessment: All incoming students must complete a tuberculosis risk assessment questionnaire. Incoming students who are at higher risk for TB infection, as determined by the screening questions, should undergo testing for TB infection within one year of SDSU entry. The TB risk assessment is found under the Forms tab in HealtheConnect.
- The above are not admission requirements but are required of students as conditions of enrollment at San Diego State University.
- Additionally, the following immunizations are strongly recommended:
- Hepatitis A (Hep A): All students regardless of age.
- Hepatitis B (Hep B): Students age 19 and older.
- Human papillomavirus (HPV): For women and men through age 45.
- Influenza (flu): Annually for all students, regardless of age.
- Meningococcal B: For all students ages 22 and 23.
- Pneumococcal: For all students age 65 and older and for students with certain medical conditions (e.g., severe asthma, diabetes, chronic liver or kidney disease).
- Poliovirus (polio): Regardless of age, if the series was not completed as a child.
- Students may fulfill immunization requirements by submitting medical documentation as proof of immunization online through the secure HealtheConnect at https://healtheconnect.sdsu.edu. Positive laboratory evidence of immunity may also be used to prove immunization status. For more information call 619-594-4325 or email [email protected].
Medical or Religious Exemptions
The SDSU immunization requirement allows for students seek an exemption to specific immunizations based on medical or for sincerely held religious beliefs.