- Immunization Requirements - effective for all regularly enrolled who are incoming to SDSU Fall 2019 and after
- Entering students are required to present proof of the following immunizations to San Diego State University by the first day of their first semester at SDSU.
- Required immunizations and screening:
- Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR): Two doses with first dose on or after first birthday; OR positive titer (laboratory evidence of immunity to disease).
- Varicella (chickenpox): Two doses with first dose on or after first birthday; OR positive titer. History of contracting the disease does not meet compliance.
- Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap): One dose after age 7.
- Meningococcal conjugate (serogroups A, C, Y, & W‐135): at least one dose at age 16 or older for students up to age 23.
- Meningococcal B (Meningitis B): Students ages 16 - 23. Complete series, may be two or three doses.
- Hepatitis B (Hep B): Students age 18 and younger should complete series. Based on type of vaccine, the series is either two or three doses. (CA Health & Safety Code, Sec. 120390.5)
- Screening/Risk Assessment: tuberculosis (TB): All incoming students must complete a tuberculosis risk questionnaire.
Incoming students who are at higher risk for TB infection, as determined by the screening questions, should undergo testing for TB infection within one year of SDSU entry.
- The above are not admission requirements but are required of students as conditions of enrollment at San Diego State University.
- Additionally, the following immunizations are strongly recommended:
- Hepatitis A (Hep A): All students regardless of age.
- Hepatitis B (Hep B): Students age 19 and older.
- Human papillomavirus (HPV): For women and men through age 45.
- Influenza (flu): Annually for all students, regardless of age.
- Pneumococcal: For all students age 65 and older and for students with certain medical conditions (e.g., severe asthma, diabetes, chronic liver or kidney disease).
- Poliovirus (polio): Regardless of age, if the series was not completed as a child.
- Students may fulfill immunization requirements by submitting medical documentation as proof of immunization online through the secure HealtheConnect at https://healtheconnect.sdsu.edu. Positive laboratory evidence of immunity may also be used to prove immunization status. For more information call 619-594-4325 or email [email protected].
CSU Vaccination Requirement
On April 22, the California State University system and University of California shared in a joint announcement that students, faculty and staff will be required to have a COVID-19 vaccine to be able to access campus facilities this fall.
The CSU, of which SDSU is part, indicated two important conditions for the requirement to be implemented: The requirement is contingent upon full approval of one or more vaccines by the U.S. Federal Drug Administration (FDA), and adequate availability of fully approved vaccines.
Additional information and guidance, including exceptions that will be offered for students, faculty and staff, is forthcoming and will be shared here.