Welcome to the SA+CD Office of Employee Engagement
In the Division of Student Affairs and Campus Diversity (SA+CD) at San Diego State University, we believe that every employee's journey should be filled with care, purpose, growth, and development. The Office of Employee Engagement strives to assist our division's leaders in attracting and retaining talented team members, all while building and maintaining a community of care.
Engagement begins when we attract and recruit potential candidates for open positions. The onboarding experience is our chance to set the tone for our employee's experience with SA+CD. We must integrate our new staff members through a community of care. Identifying each team member's talents and desired growth opportunities is necessary, but it is just as important to provide them with pathways to harness those talents and opportunities for growth. This is key to keeping them engaged in their career and will contribute to their feeling of connection at SA+CD. When it is time for our team members to move on, we want to support their transition to their new adventure.
The Office of Employee Engagement provides the division with the following community building and professional development programs:
- SA+CD Employee Engagement Hub (nicknamed E-Hub) - Using the Canvas platform, the E-Hub is a resource hub that can be accessed by all SA+CD employees. The E-Hub includes an overview of the Divison fo Student Affairs and Campus Diversity, employee engagement resources, onboarding and offboarding checklists, SDSU campus resources for employees, information about professional development opportunities, discussion boards, and management development resources.
- SA+CD Lounge - The Office of Employee Engagement team is housed in Student Services West 2537, which is also an employee lounge open for general usage Monday-Thursday 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. Staff and faculty within the Division of Student Affairs and Campus Diversity can use the lounge for collaborative meetings, to work away from their desks, enjoy their lunch, or take a midday break from work.
- Community Events - Monthly community events for the division include networking sessions, Coffee with Leadership sessions, and mini professional development sessions led by fellow divisional staff members or third-party consultants.
- SA+CD Supervisor Development Program - In partnership with the National Conflict Resolution Center, the Employee Engagement team hosts and facilitates a cohort-model professional development program for current supervisors. The program focuses on supervisor support and conflict management and resolution. The program is offered every spring semester and is limited to 10-12 supervisor particpants per cohort.
- SA+CD Leadership Prep Academy - This program is for staff members within the division who are interested in developing their leadership style and skills in preparation for future advancement opportunities. Sessions are facilitated by SA+CD leaders and there is a mentorship pairing component within the program.
Erica A. Aros, PhD
Director for Employee Engagement
Dr. Erica Alcantara Aros serves as the Director of Employee Engagement for the Division of Student Affairs & Campus Diversity at San Diego State University. She earned her B.A. in English at the University of California, Riverside and her M.Ed. in Educational Organization & Leadership from The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She graduated with her Ph.D. in the Joint Doctoral Program in Education with San Diego State University and Claremont Graduate University, with qualitative research on the impact of mentoring on career advancement for Asian American women. Within her 15+ years of experience in higher education as a student affairs professional, Dr. Aros has worked in residential life, academic advising, student life, leadership, and disability services. She also serves as an adjunct professor for SDSU’s Leadership Minor in the College of Education.
Employee Engagement Student Assistant
Danny Avitia is a senior majoring in sociology with a minor in leadership development. At SDSU, he is active with Associated Students, Glazer Center for Leadership & Service, and EOPOS. Off-campus, he is a super volunteer in the community focusing on issues like mentoring foster youth, politics, homelessness, and civic engagement.
Employee Engagement Student Assistant
Xavier Martin is a senior majoring in psychology with a minor in leadership development. He is involved in numerous organizations on campus ranging from professional development and service to social activities. Xavier also serves as a campus tour guide and orientation leader for the SDSU Ambassadors.