Graduate Student Diversity
Our mission is to support and coordinate initiatives to systematically improve recruitment, selection, retention, and professional development of historically underrepresented graduate students within the Colleges of Engineering, Sciences, and Health and Human Services
- Develop and implement assessment and outcome protocols for monitoring progress towards graduate student diversity, equity, and inclusion goals.
- Develop strategies to improve the recruitment and retention of historically underrepresented students in graduate programs.
- Empower graduate student leaderships and voice at SDSU.
- Provide colleges and departments with consultation on their professional development plans for graduate students.
We realize that every program is different, and many factors influence graduate student recruitment, admission, and retention. Therefore, we are taking a data driving approach to identifying the needs of underrepresented graduate students. These data will be used to assist graduate program directors, adjust their current practices and develop strategies to create a more diverse, equitable and inclusive training environments. Our comprehensive approach includes the following four steps:
- Department Information Interviews: Conduct a comprehensive assessment with program directors/advisors and supporting faculty of their current policies and practices focused on recruitment, admission and retention of historically underrepresented graduate students.
- Graduate Student Needs assessment: Assess the academic and professional needs and concerns historically underrepresented graduate students using climate surveys and focus groups.
- Graduate Student Action plans and program development: Partner with the Graduate Dean and program directors to develop graduate student action plans and programming based on data from informational interviews, climate surveys and focus groups.
- Consultation and Implementation: Provide ongoing support and consultation to ensure the implementation of action plans.